Sunday, July 29, 2018

Cameron Ultra Trail 55km first timer

Wayang Race
 
my guidance angels

Siu ask me, are you nervous. I say I never worry about running. This time is trail. I don't really like trail running cause trail a lot of climbing. Trail Run and hiking to me is the same is just that one got cut off time one don't. But since got bibs just go loh. 
 
SO many elites in the bus I scare


The problem that trail running you can't really enjoy the scenery. Every minute count and you will be very tired. When you tired the best scenery will not mean a thing to you. All you care is will you meet the cut off time. 

For this race, I never study the route or even the cut off time in the CP. I just on the way and ask. All I know is that I heard the first two hills you need to clear are tough. And if you never go in front at the Flag-off you be stuck in a bottle neck. So I early go Q in front, I hate bottle neck. I don't know what is altitude, got hill just climb. Know also the hill will not be lower.

At the Flag-off met Jason and Eugene so decided to tag along with them. I know Eugene run before so he know the route. It good if you know someone who know the route.
I got a big calf cramp In the middle of the second hill. So I ask them to carry on and I slowly climb up like a slow monkey. (How I climb the hill is very ugly, I think only Sucan and Kim saw it.) Jason give me a salt tablet but the cramp still keep coming. Lucky I bring a bottle of pickle juice. For all runners if you got cramp try pickle juice.
After clearing the two hill came to CP3 reunited with Jason and Eugene. But I take a break they carry on.
I still catch up with them but at CP4 I need to wet my body to cool it down so will not get heatstroke and die for nothing. And also the porridge look good. Who don't like porridge you tell me. So took a minute of break eat the porridge and wet my whole body in the toilet. 

My thinking to finish Cameron Ultra is very simple. I know my weaknesses. I cramp very easily cause I don't sweat. So first is to clear the two hill as fast as I can than up slope and flat route I walk, only run on down slope ( don't worry you got not enough down slope to run, anything go up must come down). I remember from CP5 to CP6 I ran down non stop and reach CP6 so fast till I also surprise. Cause running down the force of gravity will give me energy and I just move my legs. And only run on glass sorry I mean grass in the center of the road. Hard pavement will give more impart to my legs and cramp it. 
 
the center glass no is grass I was talking about

Than at every checkpoint don't rest too long eat drink refill and go. The last part is tough climbing up to CP3. But slowly bit by bit. Curse and swear when you climb up. Slowly even you climb like a sloth.
The trick is to clear the first two hill fast that the most important point. Once it is clear you need to power walk not slow walk. Than you will got enough time to finish the race.  And don't forget to drink their BOH tea at the CP. The tea make you feel strong again for few minutes. 



When clearing the two hills, in my mind I more worry my girlfriend Siu than myself. She register the 15km so she need to climb this two hills too.  Hope she clear one but not the second hill. The second one going down is scary. Safety come first. but I am proud she did clear one hill.








So if you know you are slow in climbing. Go Lambak and train. Bukit Timah hill is for kids. and also do go learn rock climbing. it will be useful.

 And check your headlamp, I got a podium friend headlamp battery flat so he use the hand-phone light biting the hand-phone and climb up. 

I run 55km 11hrs 34min. Veteran ranking 33. Not bad for first timer. Overall it make me feel like the days in the army where been force to climb up a hill with all the equipment. Just another army days.


Really no need run so much can complete

But I will not come back again, please why torture myself.  Now I see one slope, I hate one slope.

One mountain sure got one mountain higher, you cant conquer all.
Now I got 3 points for UTMB qualified. Who want I sell you.

What I take in this race
80% 100plus
5% water
5% hot BOH tea
few oranges
3 pieces of the fruit that call dead that look like a shit.
one mouth of cup noodle and throw away
A beggar bowl of porridge 

This metal bowl will save life if you hungry



Be Brave Don't be Wayang in Cameron Ultra, it is wise to DNF if you know you cannot make the cutoff time. It take courage to do that. You can come back again next year. Just don't ask me come back. I hate trail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Tampines hub 2.4km Run

Long time no write blog cause after the 160km Virtual run than I go for my third vaccine jab. After the jap I got frozen shoulder and heel ...